This interesting surname with variant spelling "Newhall" and "Newall", has three possible sources. It may be a topographical name for someone who lived at a "new hall", or an occupational name form someone who worked in one, from the Old English words "Neowe", new, and "heall", hall. Thirdly, it may be locational from "Newhall", a township in both Cheshire and Yorkshire. Thus the name is most widespread in both of these counties. The name is first recorded in the late 12th Century. Early recordings of the name include John de Newhalle who is mentioned in the "Pardons Roll of Cambridge", in 1383, and Hugo de Neuhalle, entered in the "Poll Tax Returns of Yorkshire" in 1379. At the church of St. Margaret, Westminster, Susan Newell was christened on March 12th 1551. In 1630, one Richard Newall was recorded in the "Chester Wills". One Robert Newell married Ann Collier at St. Nicholan, Rochester on December 19th 1656. On September 16th 1657, at St. Alphage ,Greenwich one Thomas, son of John Newell was christened. Robert Stirling Newall (1812-1889) was an engineer and astronomer, who invented wire-ropes in 1840, and was also responsible for laying submarine telegraph cables. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Robert de Niewehal, which was dated 1195, Pipe Rolls of Yorkshire, during the reign of King Richard I, "The Lionheart".
Do you have a Surname that you would like to see here. Please email us your suggestions and we will include it in the next update.
Recorded as Nicholls, Nichols, Nickols, Nickolls, Nicolls, Niccols, Nicholes, Nickoles and Nickels, this is a surname which is regarded as British, but is ultimately of Ancient Grek origins. It is a patronymic from the medieval given name Nicholas, itself from the Greek "Nikolaos", having the unusual translation if not meaning, of "To conquer people". As a personal name in England it is first recorded in the famous Domesday Book of 1086. The first surname recording is over a century later, and examples include: John Nichole in a catalogue known as the "Unpublished documents in the Essex Records Office", Chelmsford, of about the year 1170, and William Nicholas, in "A Descriptive Catalogue of Ancient Deeds, Berkshire" in 1265. Early examples of the name recordings from English church registers include the marriage of Ellen Nickolls and Humfry Walden on October 26th 1589, at St. Dunstan's Stepney, and the marriage of Elizabeth Nichols and Brian Webster on December 3rd 1592, at Prescot, in Lancashire. William Nicholls was recorded as resident in the parish of "Jordans Jorney", near Charles Cittie, Virginia in 1624, having arrived on the ship "Dutie" in 1618. A coat of arms associated with the name has the blazon of a blue shield, charged with two ermine bars, in chief three gold suns, the crest a gold ducal coronet, with a silver demi lion rampant. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Waleram Nicholai. This was dated 1198, in the Curia Regis Rolls of Suffolk, during the reign of King Richard I
Recorded in a number of spelling forms including: Oakey, Okey, and Okie, this interesting surname is medieval English. It is also residential and is derived from the pre 7th century Olde English word 'ac' meaning the oak tree. The surname has three possible sources. The first is topographical for someone who lived in or near a prominent oak tree. The 'oak' was considered to have many powers, and a particulary tall or wide example would often be used as a meeting point, for a tribe or council. The second possible source is locational from any of the minor places named with this word, such as the village of Oake in the county of Somerset. As an example from this source, John de Oky is recorded in the Hundred Rolls of Somerset, in 1272. The third source is derived from a nickname for someone 'as strong as oak', and as such the personal name is first recorded as Achi and Aki, for the counties of Lincolnshire, Suffolk and Warwickshire, in the Domesday Book of 1086. Other examples taken from surviving early church registers include: Hyrum Oakey, who married Margaret Fellows at Hanwell, New Brentford, in 1656, and Mary Oakey who married James Thorp in Manchester, Lancashire in 1678. The first recorded spelling of the family name is probably that of Henry Oky. This was dated 1221, in the Assize Rolls of Gloucestershire, during the reign of King Henry III.
The Waddelow Society is a non profit Family History Group, established in 1988, interested in reasearching the Waddelow/Wadlow name.
This Website replaces our old freeserve
and blueyonder websites.
Site Created August 2011
Updated: 13th April 2017
Web Author: Susan F. Waterhouse (Secretary)
You are Visitor